Happy Friday guys. On a non-hurricane Sandy note, wanted to share my Serious Eats article on The 5 Best Sweets at Ala Moana (aka the best shopping mall ever). For a post covering Honolulu sweets, check here for desserts you definitely shouldn’t miss. Hope this comes in handy for anyone visiting Hawai’i with a sweet tooth. And I promise to have that Honolulu (sweet and savory) eating guide up by Christmas ^_^
– Strawberry Shortcake At Patisserie La Palme D’or
– Banana Bread At Honolulu Coffee Company. I used to work here as a baker (remember when I forgot to put sugar in the bread pudding recipe my second day of work?) so I might be biased, but man is this banana bread good. You can get banana bread everywhere in Hawai’i (and everyone mom/aunt/grandma also makes it). But this one is my favorite. You can get it with or without walnuts.
– Hokkaido Bread At Panya Bakery
– Thai Herbal Tea Shave Ice Sundae At Pacific Place Tea Garden
– Long John At Saint Germain. I used to work here as well! Not baking but just stocking all the pastry/bread shelves. I started at the Saint German inside Shirokiya and then was transferred to the new location sandwiched between Foodland and the post office when that opened in 2002. I had a horrible manager named Regina but the bakers were so nice and made sure when I went home with a bag full of baguettes, ham rolls, butterflake rolls, and these custard long johns at the end of the day.