3. Blending ink colors at Shann’s graphic design studio in Gowanus. I should have figured when we became friends in middle school (we’ve known each other for 13 years now!) that she’d eventually become an expert at letterpress.
Letterpress machine! The entire open studio set up was both foreign and fascinating. Most of the day involved me oohing and ahhi-ng. So this is how you make it….that’s how card comes together? …this is how you turn xxx dark/shiny/awesome? Forgive me, I’m usually surrounded by food and computers. Thanks a bazillion Shann!!
4. Da Bao from Mei Li Wah. Only $1.60 apiece. Stuffed with lup cheong, pork, and chicken. It used to come with a hard boiled egg inside as well…but not anymore. The one from Bale in Honolulu is still my favorite, a super big Da Bao worthy of the name. Filled with everything including the egg, mushrooms, and vermicelli noodles.
6. Friday night dinner with Nikki at the James Beard Foundation. A lovely 5-course meal from Chef Abraham Salum of Komali and Salum in Dallas. The sight of so many wine glasses at the table always makes me smile.
7. Saturday morning breakfast with Shann at Four & Twenty Blackbirds. The people who work here aren’t very nice, but the pies are delicious.
8. Dim Sum at Jing Fong. Pierre calls this place “dim sum football field,” and that it is. I love the steamers piled high on rolling carts, the energy, and the fact that we scored a whole table (no sharing required!) to ourselves today.
Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend!