…till then, here’s a round up of sweets from the week. No worries, I also make sure to include savoury food into my diet from time, but you can just check my Flickr for that. For those in NYC, isn’t the rainy weather just crazy? It’s a good thing my dad gave me an extra durable umbrella last winter. And for those in Hawai’i, I’ll see you soon! :)
1. At Tabla yesterday, Jess and I were stuffed even before the dessert menu appeared at the table. But with ever curious minds and a lusty sweet tooth, declining dessert is rarely an option. We started with the Warm Chocolate Cake with Pumpkin Ice Cream and Pumpkin Seed Brittle…
2. …and because there’s no point in having one dessert when you can have two, we followed with the Kulfi Pop Trio. From left to right: Mocha, Vanilla Creamsicle, and Pistachio.
3. The night before, John and I had dinner at Insieme. The dessert menu rolled around and we had issues deciding from the four that sounded most intriguing. So instead of narrowing it down, we decided to have all four. Why not? :) Dessert #1: Confit Butternut Squash, Chocolate Hazelnut “Cremeux” and Cranberry Sorbet.
4. Dessert #2: Bomboloni with Pastry Cream and Dark Chocolate Sauce. It’s a personal goal of mine to eat every single doughnut in the city. Give me time, I’m making good progress, but there still a billion more to conquer. ^_^
5. Dessert #3: Caramelized Puff Pastry, Fresh Figs and Ricotta Cream
6. Dessert #4: Torta al Grano Saraceno: Buckwheat Cake with Huckleberry Compote and Whipped Cream
7. Sunday = lots and lots of Hot Chocolate with Robyn and Erin this past weekend. We only accomplished half the trek on Sunday (got distracted by dinner and gelato at Otto ;), but Erin did an awesome job tasting her way through the city. Drink up the results on 12 Days of Hot Chocolate at Serious Eats New York. Four days down, eight to go!
8. A Vanilla Malted Milkshake shared between Robyn, Greg, Allison and I over a wonderfully casual and relaxed dinner at Black Iron Burger Shop.
9. Jess, her friend, and I met at Bloomies post-work with the intention of shopping. Coats, gloves, hats, and the world. After a (very weak) attempt, I failed to find any clothing, but managed to distract myself with a scary portion of froyo at the 7th floor 40 Carrots counter. Chocolate, Coffee, and Plain. I usually have all four flavours, but they were out of Peanut Butter that evening. The failed shopping trip was better documented in this late night chat with Robyn.
My goodness, it’s a terrific wonder I do not have diabetes. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. It would be a sad, sad life without dessert. Ok, well that’s it for now. Off to finish work, dinner with Shann, packing, and then…HONOLULU!
11 Madison Ave at 25th Street
New York, NY 10010
777 7th Ave
New York, NY 10019
Black Iron Burger Shop
540 E 5th St
New York, NY 10009
1000 3rd Ave, 7th Fl
New York, NY 10022